Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels such as gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous. CO gas can be released into a structure due to inadequate venting, cracked heat exchangers, restricted flue passages and many other reasons. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.
Testing of carbon monoxide levels for combustion appliances should be performed at a minimum annually. Have the heating system (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced for safety and fuel efficiency.
Carbon Monoxide Information and Safety Links. Important Information For Everyone!
Links, manufacturers, or organizations listed on this web site are not recommendations or endorsements but are solely intended for informational purposes. No warranties of any kind, including warranties of fitness or merchantability, are intended, expressed, or implied.